Saturday, September 10, 2016

a series of fortunate events


Life has a way of going on, even when you're not ready.
I went back to school and I lived my last moments with the kids at SCS as their teacher and their coach. It wasn't hard to be there. I enjoyed it. It was hard to leave, and it is hard to know I won't be going back. But, God is good.

Sometimes I'll look through my camera roll for a certain picture and in so doing, I consequently scroll past the memories from this year. I feel sentimental when I see some of them. I have really had a wonderful year with many great things to look back on and smile.

Among the first few pictures of 2016 are some of the basketball girls at Cici's pizza. It wasn't the first or only trip I made with them to Cici's, but it was as fun as usual. A few pictures down show one of our times together at the Connolly's place, and then there are some of us bowling. Right under those are the pictures from our last home game and the seniors in the locker room with their cake and frames.

Then we come to the end of basketball season. The last of the pictures with them are from the area tournament. There were tears and hugs. There were "goodbyes."
When I look back to the pictures of these kids, my affections are stirred. These kids were special. I got to be a part of a team who loved one another. Those girls didn't always get along like little angels, but almost. I got to see them play for one another while living in a world that presses us to serve ourselves. They approached the game with humility and one another with patience. I am deeply grateful for the dynamic they, and I, got to experience from that team. #ForHisGlory

The next big event in the roll is the senior trip. I was a little nervous to be the senior sponsor because of how much work is involved in planning a trip that big for so many people. There were lots of phone calls and a lot of things I'd never done before. I talked to Southwest Airlines, or at least waited on hold with them, for too many planning periods. Fortunately, I didn't have to handle the taking-of-the-money part of the trip. Thank you, Mrs. Underwood!

But, we set off for Tampa and Orlando right on time. We actually had seats on the plane and tickets to the parks. I had three of the best chaperones I could imagine helping me keep things together. We even had more money than we needed so everyone got a little extra spending money. The kids were great. No one was kicked out of the park or sent home. They weren't sneaking out and getting into trouble (well, if they did, they still haven't told me). We really had a great time!

Big event number three? ACL reconstruction.

This wasn't really a fond memory of mine. There are, however, redeemable parts from the circumstance. There were many visitors to my apartment after I had surgery. It was a painful time for multiple reasons, but it was a sweet time. The Lord blessed me with relationships with people who took care of me for that period. They came over to bring food, clean up, keep me company, wash my hair, redress my incision. These people served me and I am humbled. They came by to give rides to the doctor, to therapy, to the store just get me out of the house. If nothing else, the Lord showed me how valuable the relationships He's given me are.

Then, I find pictures from Spring Break. The Edwardses were so kind to invite me to join them. I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure my knee was quite ready for the sand. I figured I might as well. And I'm sure glad I did. It was a unique experience to get to be down there with all of those students because of the baseball tournament.

And then prom. I chaperoned again against my better judgement. It went well though. I couldn't dance as much as I wanted, but it was fun! Most anything with that senior class has proven rather enjoyable.

Up next, softball season. Truthfully, softball isn't my favorite. I loved to play, but standing out in the cold just seemed to make it less worth it. However, I had a different perspective on this season. There was a sense of time being of the essence. I knew I didn't have much of it left and I was happy to make the most of it. Those kids had some tough games, but in the end they went out on a high. In the regional tournament they fought back from the losers' bracket and finished farther in post-season than any of their predecessors (SCS teams). God gave me many more games with them than I expected after that first regional loss.

Before softball season actually ended, I see pictures of senior trip, round 2, to Six Flags. Six flags opened the park all night for seniors, and we didn't want to miss that opportunity. I would like to extend a special thanks to Keith Collier for being willing to drive us there and to bring us back at 5:00 the next morning. We couldn't have done it without him.

Finally, it's time for school to end. Graduation. One of the greatest honors of my life so far was being chosen by the graduates to speak at the graduation of the kids I had grown to love. It wasn't an honor that I took lightly, and it wasn't something I'll soon forget. Thank you, senior class of 2016. It was a blessing and a privilege.

A few days after graduation, I set out on a road trip with one of those graduates. Emily and I headed out west to see The Grand Canyon. We might have nearly hit a group of elk trying to get there before sunrise, but it didn't disappoint. It was beautiful. The expanse served as a reminder of how small we are in the vastness of God's creation. He formed every groove, every crevice and we sat in awe.
We continued on from there to Mt. Zion national park on the recommendation of Dale Gillis. It proved to be a good one.
We thought, "Since we're this close, we should just go to Vegas, and why not just go ahead to Los Angeles, and how about San Diego?" We had our second go at Six Flags in L.A. and ventured over to the zoo, too.
By the time we had spent about a half a day in San Diego, we were ready for home. We had originally intended to mosey home and see some different things, but we drove straight to Florence in about 30 hours (give or take a few).

Then there was Uganda!
What a wonderful God we have! To have been able to meet the people of Nyada was a blessing. In a country ravished by civil wars and rebel groups, a country seemingly plagued by poverty, God showed Himself to be a part of the lives of those people. Our trip was not one of evangelism, but rather one of encouragement and provision for our brothers and sisters in need. What they lack in material possessions is made up for in their joy. Their smiles were sweet and their hearts full. Their lives are more simple than most Americans can imagine, but what they did have was of great and lasting value. They're loving, generous, kind, compassionate, hard-working, gracious, humble, thankful.
While there, I had the privilege to co-sponsor a child. Callie and I will continue to directly encourage John Odeke. His family expressed ample thanks in coming alongside them in raising their son. Because of sponsorship, Odeke will be able to keep going to school, he'll have a uniform for school, receive lunch daily, and be a part of the discipleship program through Children's HopeChest.

When I think back on the trip, the deepest movement of my heart was at the generosity of the people. On our last day in the village the kids received mattresses and mosquito nets. This was afforded them through sponsorship and some donations. That money, given in that way, is precious and sacrificial, but in many ways given out of surplus. We don't sponsor kids to the point that it impacts us too noticeably financially. And it's not my heart to call anyone to that. I am making a statement of their hearts, not ours. That day, we parted ways with those people, but not before they lavished us with things of great value to them. We received from them five or six hens, many eggs, and homemade brooms. These things seem minuscule in the mind of many Americans. However, to the Ugandan, these were sustaining. These meant you had hope for a future meal, but they gladly handed them over to us out of love and gratitude.

In addition to Uganda's beautiful people, we also gazed upon the creatures and landscape with a sense of the Creator's artistry and dominion. The creation cries out and tells of His glory!

We got back to the states on Sunday night, and I left Tuesday morning headed to Maryland with a friend from college. We went over to Washington D.C. and up to Hershey, Pennsylvania. We considered New York City, but I was really just too tired to be interested. We got to see our former roommate and spend time with her and her family. Again, generosity astounded me. They housed us and fed us for the duration of our stay.

Okay, one more. The next weekend, after getting back from the eastern side of the country, I left again. I ended the summer with a trip to Destin, Florida with my mom and nephews. They had a good time, and it was nice because I had never been on vacation with my mom before.

This summer was considerably above my average. I have never been so many places and experienced so many new and different things in such a short time. There is deep gratitude in my heart for all the adventures God has allowed me in 2016.

When I see these pictures I am reminded that God gives good things to His children.  I am also reminded of His graciousness and His faithfulness. In transitioning from a job I loved to the unknown, God provided. I have a new job, and He has allowed me to remain in contact with many of the kids who had become so dear. I might dare even say that I have better relationships with a few of them. There's just something about not being an authority figure for them that allows them to open up a little more.

In all this, the good and the bad, God was. I find He still is, and by faith, I know He will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment